Monday, October 28, 2013

Lamp Shade Turned Laundry Basket

It's time to talk double duty. Why are laundry baskets so expensive? I'm not sure, but I did come up with an easy, creative solution. Here's an old lamp shade I had picked up from an ayp auction- pretty cheap. It's super retro, tall, and doesn't really seem to fit any lamp I own. After watching my [almost] three year old throw toys and clothes in it, a light bulb clicked- it could be a laundry basket. So I borrowed my sister-in-law's tiny sewing machine, and for the first time ever, I sewed what is in essence a pillow case out of a fabric shower curtain. Pretty simple. I'm not very good at sewing a straight line yet, but honestly, it doesn't really matter with this project. I threw the "pillow case" in the lamp shade, rolled it over the edges, and voila! a beautiful, thrifty laundry basket.
I took it to the I Made it Market at the beginning of October and I heard about a million people say, "Oh, I have a lamp shade like that. What a clever idea!". And to that I say, "yay!" because I love turning old things into new. So go ahead and put those old lamp shades to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment