Monday, April 1, 2013

Real Estate Monday: Oakmont

Hi. Welcome back to Real Estate Monday. If you missed the first one you can click here to learn more about the series.Today you're getting a 3 in 1 deal. While my husband and I were looking at this one multi-unit in Verona, the Realtor showed us another property he thought we might be interested in. He was right. I was interested. They were three homes in Oakmont, located on the same property, all completely renovated, or at least in the process of being renovated. It's actually not really on the market yet, but the Realtor just put it on Craigslist yesterday.
I love Oakmont because it's a small town, close to the city, yet far enough away geographically to where I don't think it'll ever experience any problems associated with living in a city. It has an excellent school system, a yummy bakery, and good restaurants all within walking distance.
Here's the history: the owner grew up in the main house (we'll call it house #1). His parents eventually sold it, and he recently bought it back to gut and restore. All three homes will be for sale together, or he'll sell the main house separate from the other two. Here's a view from the back of the property looking at the 3rd house. Taliila is wedged on the front stoop.

House #1: It's going to be listed at around $309k by itself, but negotiable if buying all three. It has three stories, 5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. We walked into the back door off the deck right into the eat in kitchen. It wasn't finished when we toured it, but we got the idea. To the left, there was this adorable little room that would make the most wonderful playroom. Little is the operative word, as it was built above the garage, but Taliila was a believer. 

I love that it was right off the kitchen, so you could be cooking and your kids could be in their own space separate from the big people areas. No more toys in the family room- in my dreams, right? Sorry for the awful pictures, I'm sure it'll be properly photographed once it's listed on the market. I'm not a huge fan of dark cabinets, but at least they didn't skimp on the granite. It has a pretty cranberry color speckled throughout. There'll be stainless steel appliances in all the holes :)

Looking towards the back door. Living/Dining room is to my right

The living room and dining room are combined, yet separated by hard wood and carpet. I like an open floor plan concept, and even though the kitchen is not completely open to this area, at least these two rooms are. 

 I'm dying to have a proper foyer like this where you can set things down and not have it flow into your living space. This has plenty of room for shoes, keys, purses, benches, tables, etc.
Looking towards the stairway from the living room. To the left of the stairs is a half bath. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the upstairs, but the master has its own private bath, plenty of room to put a walk-in closet, and beautiful, large windows. There are two other decent sized bedrooms on this floor and a full bathroom for them to share. On the third floor are two more rooms, fit for an office and a dream bedroom for a teenager.
House #2: Said to be an old firehouse, it's the smallest of the three and my favorite. The first floor is 500 sq. ft and completely open. It has a new kitchen, a small dining area, and family room. Straight from the doorway you can head up the stairs where there are two bedrooms and a small bathroom. This would be a great place for a single parent, or an awesome guest house. I'd feel secure being in between both houses, while having a decent space of my own. I could see it renting out for between $800-$1000. Both house #2 and #3 are going to be listed at around $189,000 for the pair. 
House #3:Three bedrooms, one bathroom, new eat-in kitchen, decent unfinished basement. If this house had a few more elements, such as a little extra storage on the main floor, I'd called it a day and move in tomorrow. The kitchen has ample room for a big island that you could throw a bunch of stools around. The living room is a good size with plenty of ways to arrange furniture. Upstairs the two guest bedrooms are a little tight. I don't think they even had closets, so technically I'm not sure if you're allowed to call them bedrooms. But my daughter would be perfectly happy to sleep in there. The master bedroom was on the larger side, however, complete with an awesome sun room that would make an amazing office.  This house could easily rent to a small family for around $1100. 
Kitchen has a back door as well
Custom tile work in the upstairs bathroom.
Buying all three homes is unfortunately out of our budget, but for the right person it could really pay off. If you don't mind being a landlord, renting out the two houses could almost cover your mortgage. Or even renting out the 3rd house, while living in the main house, and keeping the smaller one for your in-laws... now we're talking! 
Happy Monday, I hope you enjoyed today's real estate adventure. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this feature. We are nowhere NEAR getting a new house, but it's fun to look! Thanks for letting me live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! We're not really in a place for me to be looking either... I'm hoping that blogging about it will suffice.

      Delete
  2. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. Sidney Peterson Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success..

    ReplyDelete