Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy 1st Day Of Advent: DIY Advent Tree Project

This year I tried a simple DIY Advent project made from card stock, markers, and tape (all things I had laying around the house). 
I found this tutorial for the trees here
 and I printed out verses I found from this other tutorial here.
Here's ours lined up along the window seal.
Taliila literally only colored one before she got bored. 
But for the average child I'd say this would be a fun project.


 I think green card stock would have been a nice choice for the trees, but I only had white and didn't feel like running out to the store. Plus, I started it yesterday, and since today was the first day of advent, I didn't have much time to get it done. If you have little ones, white is fun because they can use markers to decorate the trees.
First you just print out the tree template from this site on card stock.
Once colored, I cut them out. 

I folded along the lines and used tape (no glue) to close them.
Then I folded up my verse and put a little piece of candy in the bottom of them. I did this step without Taliila seeing it, lest she want the candy right away... you try teaching a two yr old delayed gratification. 


After church today I told her to find the tree with the number 1 on it. She found it and took it to dadad to help her open it. We read the verse and she happily ate her piece of candy. She tried to get us to open another tree, of course, but she'll get the hang of it soon enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment