Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sprucing Up Before A Showing

A huge bonus to owning a furniture store is getting to switch out furniture in my house when I need a new look. I've had this butcher block table since the yearly Regent Square yard sale (can't remember the exact date of this past year's). It's been sitting in our back storage room ever since along with the retro server behind it. This table is awesome and exactly what I've been looking for for a long time. It was merely out of laziness that we hadn't switched out our old table for my new fave. It wasn't until this past week that I got a bee in my bonnet and starting sprucing things up for our first showing.
I've had our house listed on craigslist for the past month or so and plan on listing it properly with a Realtor as soon as my husband's new garage is finished on the church property. We've actually had neighbors who were interested already come through, but this is our first real showing to someone we don't know and I'm kind of nervous.


In addition to switching tables, I also exchanged the retro, slim server for what used to be that big glass table. It makes the room feel so much more spacious. I painted the doors white so they'd pop (they were this really muted, beat-up shade of grey).

Somebody photo bombed my picture.


This is my inspiration photo. I'd love to find some mint colored chairs to go around the table like these. 
via

The old table, in case you're interested in a farm-like pedestal table, will be auctioned off this coming week, along with all the other contents of my shop. If you missed that post, you can click here.
Other things I've been doing before our big day is de-cluttering the kitchen and painting the floorboards. Now I swear I clean and dust these babies often, but they just looked embarrassing. I took a can of Dove White paint all over the house and hit most of the floorboards and door frames. I just feel so much better about it now, and it's amazing the difference something so little makes. Observe:


Doesn't that look so much better? I don't expect the first person to see my house to be the end all be all to selling, but it doesn't hurt to put my best foot forward. What do you think of all the changes? Any other tips?


No comments:

Post a Comment