Monday, August 19, 2013

Real Estate Monday: Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water


This weekend I had the pleasure of taking a trip to see Falling Water for the first time. Oh.my.word. I am slightly embarrassed to admit this, but I got a little choked up when I walked through the dark and narrow front entry way into the main room of the house. It's equatable to coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnels, for those of you who are from Pittsburgh, you know what I mean. The beauty of the outdoors brought inside just hits you, and I wanted to cry. It's the most organic design I've ever experienced. Everything from the floor, to the walls, to the ceilings and windows pointed to the exquisite outdoor waterfall, on which it sits cantilevered over. Simply breathtaking. If you haven't been, then you should go. Seriously. Best little weekend jaunt and it's so close. Tickets are $20 each, and you must call ahead to book a reservation. I didn't know this, and we didn't get in on the first day (forehead slap).
So here's what to do. Don't look at pictures of the inside. I purposely didn't. I like surprises. They don't let you take pictures inside anyways*, so all of mine are from the outside looking in.
*I got really bummed out when I found out I couldn't take pictures inside. I figured if I got a pic of the Mona Lisa (without realizing it was illegal), then I could surely sneak a peak). But once inside, I really didn't want to ruin the moment by hiding behind a camera. I wanted to enjoy the tour and engage with the tour guide. And I want you to be able to do the same.
So here's a little tiny background, I don't want to spoil it for you though. The house was built from 1936-1939 for what totaled $155,000. It was built for the Kaufmann family, from Kaufmann department stores, now Macy's, and entrusted to The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy. It's so mid century modern, before that term was even coined. I can't imagine how people back in that time must have reacted to its controversial design. Wright went on to build 200 more homes even though he was in his late 60's when he designed this house. I like to imagine people walking through it back then for the first time. How in awe they must have been. How in awe I am now almost 74 years later!
Here are some outdoor shots we got.




Where the tour starts. 

From the foot of the driveway before entering the house. 

Standing on the veranda over the waterfall, which is almost as large as the family room inside. 

There are steps down to the left of the veranda to wade in the water.
From the spot where the Kaufmann's thought their home was going to be built so they could look at the waterfall. They never thought they'd be on top of it! 


Churchill, a suburb of Pittsburgh, also has its own "little" Frank Lloyd Wright house.

105 Merrie Woode Drive, Churchill Boro, PA 15235


And here are two more contemporary ranch style homes that are a little more affordable, but with the right furniture could be AMAZING!

3404 Mccrady Road, Churchill Boro, PA 15235




I love contemporary ranches that focus more on bringing the outdoors in. Thank you Frank Lloyd Wright for being different! 

No comments:

Post a Comment