Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oh (Moroccan) Poufs!

I can't see a "pouf" and have it not remind me of my time in Morocco. Isn't nostalgia great? You typically only remember the good, rosy memories. Anyways, I came across these two adorable, little poufs today. 


While these aren't exactly like the true Moroccan Poufs you find in the tanneries of Fez, they're enough to stir up those warm feelings. So I'm gonna show you where those little poufs come from (get ready for a few pictures while I make you relive my life in Morocco).

Here's what the tannery looks like from above. If you go to Fez, I highly recommend taking a tour, but don't disregard the mint leaves they might hand you. They do have a purpose. I can't begin to describe how foul it smells. Bet you didn't know they use bird poop to dye and tan the leather?
The thing I like best about buying from this country? Bargaining. Never pay the first price they throw out. Cut it in half and start from there. Trust me. And learn some French or Arabic numbers while you're at it. It'll pay off.
 Here's a wonderful looking picture a friend/old roommate posted highlighting a pink pouf in a Moroccan-inspired room. And here we are celebrating Christmas Eve five years ago while living there. Desperate for some holiday tradition in a Muslim country, it wasn't easy, but we found a French restaurant with a Christmas tree.
If you're an avid world traveler be sure to give yourself ample time to explore this wonderful country. It's got an amazing culture to offer. And definitely take a camel ride into the Sahara. It may not be the most comfortable thing you ever do, but it's an experience to remember.
Speaking of camels... and tying this all back to the shop, here's a wonderful little camel back sofa that just came in and two matching chairs.


2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about how terribly uncomfortable camels were, but you are correct it was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine who lives in Eugene, Oregon, recently started a new business, MoroccanBuzz.com. Check it out--she has the REAL poufs! They support the Moroccan craftspeople & 10% of their profits go to support education & women in Morocco. They fell in love with the country while there on a visit.

    ReplyDelete